Friday, December 19, 2008

children and monkeys and animal droppings!

kids can do the most embarrassing things at the most inconvenient times!

we recently had a good friend over for dinner. our daughter was going through a 'i don't like daddy' kind of phase... and took a great liking for the friend who had dropped in for dinner...

suddenly in the middle of our casual conversations she decided to declare that her mother was he mother and the visiting friend was her father! the three adults at the table decided to continue our conversation (i don't even remember what we were talking about!) as if nothing had happened... that only served to infuriate the little one, who was determined to get her message across... so she interrupted us again, made sure she had our collective attention and then proceeded to redefine her lineage!

as expected, there was some polite coughing and mumblings and 'ok beta' and laughter all around... and then everyone moved on... the little one smug in the knowledge that she had made her point... and the rest of us relieved that we were not subject to any more such revelations! :P

----------------

we went to matheran this last week-end... one of our weekend get-aways with a group of 6 other families.

we had a whale of a time (i will put up the pics soon) and the kids had a 'blue whale of a time'!

some of the kids got it into their heads that i am the resident narrator of stories and all things amazing! :P
(i have a feeling most of the other dads spread such slander among their kids so that they could lounge around and eat/ drink/ sleep/ play tt without having their spouses throwing daggers at them (just by looks, mind you!) about taking care of their respective kids!

so i was the chosen one to impart them some invaluable knowledge which included naming various species of monkeys and apes and other simians; as well as the various types of dogs... since there were a large number of both species of animals in close vicinity!

later over one of our soul-enriching conversations that i normally have with the 'big boss' i told her about how we also learnt how to identify the animals by just examining the spoor (or potty as the kids preferred to call it)! :P

the big boss gave me 'the look' and said, 'i am sure it was your idea in the first place to educate them about such an esoteric subject as animal droppings!'

the big boss knows me so well! :P

7 comments:

~nm said...

The who's-my-papa incident was quite funny and it can be quite embarrassing too for sure :D

Anonymous said...

Hey Guru! This was so hillarious and so insightful... Kids can just get rid of what bothers them ;-)

I remember very clearly when I used to be in the hate-my-sibling, mom-loves-bro-dad-loves-me phase...

At a similar gather of my parents family friends, some uncle (I abhored) commented about how I completely look like my dad and how my elder bro looked an interesting mix but no specific similarities with either dad or mom.

I found this as an opportunity to showcase my knowledge (And I really believed it, till I 'grew up'). I said,"Well uncle an Pigeon dropped my bro from its backside into my mom's lap so he didn't look like either of them and I only looked like my dad since I was born of his BEEEG Tummy!!! Dad laughed but I remember Mum being totally pissed! I later on had to apologise to my bro for being nasty to him! Heh heh heh! Today, I think we look more alike than ever...

MG said...

guru: your post transported me to some long forgotten memories ;-) i wonder sometimes how in one life our relationship with our sibling(s) matures and progresses. my younger sister and i take turns to act strong for each other when one is becoming weak. i was so lucky too to have met aradhana-the-wonder-woman in this lifetime :-)

Unknown said...

dear GPji..
pls add my other mail id too in your list.
zeus_madhu@yahoo.co.in.

pls keep me posted with ur experiences..!

Love,
MADhu..!

Sairekha said...

how old is she? And, what did you do that pissed her off so much? Are you the bad cop at home?:)

Shruti said...

Hey! Wish u a very happy new year! :)

aMus said...

haha...

kids sure know how and when to take their revenge...